Phlebotomist Professional Certifications and Licensing

Become a Phlebotomist

Phlebotomy Resources…

Do you need licensing to work as a phlebotomist? It depends on where you live. Right now, states that require licensing are in the minority. Employers, however, often do ask for certification through one of several organizations. The American Phlebotomy Association has noted that there are a number of credentialing agencies in good standing. Don’t think, though, that just because they’re all in good standing, they’re all equal. Requirements differ when it comes to things like practical skills examinations and continuing education. Also, you may find that one is favored in your part of the country. Ask your professional organization or search job ads through Often, the best time to search job ads is months before you enter the job market.

One well known certifying agency is the National Phlebotomy Association. The first step is confirming your eligibility. In order to be certified, you will need to send transcriptions that verify that you have taken the required coursework: 160 contact hours of instruction (or 16 CEUs) and 200 hours of practical experience. There is an exception to the formal education requirement, however, for those with significant on-the-job experience. You are eligible to take the certification exam if you have at least a year of experience and are currently in a position where phlebotomy is a part of the job description. The second step is passing an examination. A score of 70% is required. You should be prepared to take continuing education classes to maintain your certification.

Another very well-known certifying agency is the American Medical Technologists. There are multiple routes to certification through AMT; these include graduating from a program that meets AMT standards or accumulating 1,040 hours of actual work experience. Either way, you must have performed 50 venipunctures and 25 skin punctures. In most cases, certification involves an examination. If you have already passed a licensing exam or a certifying exam through some other agency, however, you may not be required to take another one.