Health Care Administrator Licensing and Certification

Due to federal funding regulations, licensing is required for nursing home administrators. Most health care administrators are not required to be licensed by the state. Certification, however, is another matter. It offers validation to potential employers that you have met professional standards, and that you continue to do so year after year. There are several respected organizations that certify health care administrators.

ACHE, the American College of Healthcare Executives, is for health care administrators with degrees at the post-baccalaureate level. Several years of preparation are involved. You start by becoming a member, or affiliate, of ACHE. You also need to be active in both health care and civic activities. You will probably need to give some conscious attention to networking because several professional references will be required. You must obtain them from ACHE fellows, and one must be an actual interview. In order to advance to fellowship status, you will need to pass this Board of Governors Examination in Healthcare Management. You can participate in fellow advancement webinars to learn more about the advancement process. After you achieve this coveted status, you’ll need to maintain continued high standards to maintain it. This includes continued participation in both community and health care related activities.

Other certifications may be appropriate depending on your background. CPAM (Certified Accounts Manager) certification, available from the American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management, is for those who work with hospital accounts. This certification doesn’t reflect the multi-dimensional administrative competencies of the ACHE, but, if you have some health care experience, you can earn it at an earlier phase in your career.